Sunday, October 26, 2014

Observation #2

During my observation on October 23rd, 2014, I was able to identify quite a few moving specimens inside the MicroAquarium that I hadn't previously. There were quite a few litonotus which moved very fast and was impossible to take a picture of. There was a peramecium, which is a protozoa with cilia. There was a copepod (also known as a cyclops) which also moved very quickly.

There were also quite a few carcuses, possibly from the lack of food. The snail is what really grabbed my attention. I am not yet able to discern a shell, so I am categorizing it as phylum mollusca. During the next observation, I will flip it over to see the mouth of the snail, but this time, I did see it eating everything it could. It seemed dead until about thirty minutes into the observation  and seemed to move faster when the light was focused on it. It is encased in pond scum and debris and so moves a group of thigns when itmoves around. It seems to spin in a circle instead of going in a straight line, and it reaches out its head and sucks in its food. I will know more next week once I have observed the underside of the snail.

No comments:

Post a Comment